Wow!!! Six months of Pairings Portland with our doors open and legal! Wow! Did I say that? OK, I'll go for a few dozen more times.
This shop was started out of a moment of two thoughts: running out of dollars for rent from savings and a realization of I'm not getting out of this alive. In all of that it was a 'what the f__k, I'm gonna open a wine shop, and the process began.
So many things have happened. So many blessings, including donations, supportive thoughts, actions & dollars and holy cow!!! Thank you!
Thank you to the wineries who helped get us going (Bill & Barbara Steele from Cowhorn Wine, Philip & Mary Hart from AmByth Estate, Wayne Bailey from Youngberg Hill, Patrick Reuter & Leigh Bartholomew from Dominio IV, Dai Crisp & PK McKoy from Lumos, and a handful of gracious, talented, big hearted others).
The first six months have included more than I can write here, but some things need to be typed out.
1. Megan Wilkerson. My sweetie. My love. What you see in the shop is the manifestation of Megan's skills, talents, gifts & love based on her interpreting my needs & wants shared by her in Jeffrey Lingo (no easy task to interpret). Her passion for what she does is obvious and I celebrate and get to share with you (the customer) the labors & expression of her love on each visit to the shop. She rocks!!!
2. Sean. Some people's generosity cannot be measured. It just is. Additionally, there was the profoundly timely heartfelt support that came my way one day from Josh, Holly & Aiden.
3. Bill Steele. Our first tasting event that drew a crowd came with the aid of Bill & Barbara Steele of Cowhorn Vineyards who have been at the top of my special list since the inception of ConsciousWine.Com (my obsession for 5 years pre-Pairings Portland, and what influences 80% of the wines chosen for the shop).
4. Linda & Steve Morelli. Angels come in many shapes & sizes. I LOVE music & dance, so after the interesting choice of custom speakers (on my 'exceedingly tight' get the shop open budget), the reality of having live music (especially with a shop of 400 square feet) didn't even enter onto the dream list. Steve Morelli & The Flat Pockets play monthly at the shop and I (and many of you) love it!!!
5. Pete Jaeger. I used to be afraid of taller people. Not so much anymore. What did I say about angels? The gracious, diverse helpings and aid layered into the ins and out of my often not good timing are a pillar provided by Pete that I wouldn't be here without.
6. Beverly McKenzie. We all need camaraderie. I can almost think of it as going to battle and asking whose got your back? I'm drawn to scream 'Go Team'.
7. Erin Conway. More angel action! And she planned it (inside story) :) Bottom Line: I have returned to a more creative, grounded place, with a good sense of both presence and vision for going forward thanks to the adventure of this last month and am very thankful for what I have received. Good luck with harvest!!
8. John Stidham, Henry Ponzio, Jay Harris, Scott & Nancy Oskow, Tony & Emily Plachy, Kathy & Steve Bluestone and a number of others who answered a pre-opening e-mail in a way that supported the dam breaking and letting the river take the shape it has today.
9. Vinny Liscio (my partner in ConsciousWine.com) who has been a cheerleader throughout, and in the months preceding lease signing day (12/1/2012) helped tenderize the soil that sent me forward into the wilderness.
10. Don Hinz, Mike Curry, Scott Heller, Mary Heston, Sunny Diaz, Randy Merzon, Colleen Coleman, Vinny Liscio, Carl Givanti, Rachel Novak, Michael Altman, Paula Bandy, Nadine Lew, Jon Basille and a wonderful group of non-Portland supporters via Facebook (and in other ways) that help keep my spirit up, my mind creating, and my body moving.
11. The Sidewalk Clubbers without whom sidewalk seating would have stayed in the planning stages until 2014.
12. Franco, Sammy, Kim, Jessica, Carol, June, Deb, Heather, Genvieve, Brett, and the delicious mix of customers that make doing this ... delicious :)
Without you, none of this is here. I am very grateful. I feel very blessed. PS: you rock!!!
Now on to the beginning of the second six months...